POSITION: Director of Security and School Safety
The Director of Security is a high visibility member of the schools staff and is responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for students, employees and visitors by helping to develop, establish and enforce safety and security policies, access control procedures, accident prevention efforts, support risk management efforts, fire, safety, emergency management, asset protection, parking control and traffic enforcement programs. The Director of Security reports directly to the Director of Finance, Facilities, & Operations.
The Director of Security performs tasks in developing, implementing, and managing programs designed to effectively address security and school safety needs. The Director is responsible for coordinating a comprehensive school safety program, which includes working with local law enforcement agencies. The Director works extensively with School Board of Trustees, school administrators and the RCDS school community on all areas of school safety. It also involves implementing training programs pertaining to matters of safety and security for students, administration, and staff. The Director will help to develop and monitor school safety areas within school improvement plans. The Director will at the beginning of the school year, oversee and update, security policies, procedures, where necessary and submit the updates to the Administration and Rumson Police Department.
• Coordinates school safety compliance with federal, state, and local regulations by overseeing and enforcing school-wide adherence to requirements.
• Conducts and coordinates safety, security and emergency preparedness training by developing, scheduling and/or facilitating training for staff, students, security and emergency preparedness.
• Secures facilities, equipment, students and personnel by working in conjunction with the administration in recommending safety and security equipment purchases and upgrades.
• Maintainins records of fire and other emergency drills.
• Conducts drills when appropriate.
• Supervises and maintains access control and key distribution.
•Provides oversight, documentation and coordination of approval of faculty and staff, school volunteers and service providers by utilizing: The NJ Criminal History Record Check process which includes a fingerprint search of the applicant/employee by the New Jersey State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. As set forth by theregulations of the NJ Department of Education, Office of Student Protection.
•Serves as a liaison with local law enforcement agencies. Working directly with local law enforcement agencies during critical incident situations and follow-up.
•Works with appropriate departments to meet operational security needs within budget; works with Finance, and Maintenance departments for capital improvements as needed.
•Assists in the development and implementation of security plans for special events.
•Coordinates with Administration, and Maintenance and other Departments to address and correct safety/security issues on school campus.
•Communicates with other schools on matters related to school safety.
•Attends parent organizational and school board meetings as necessary.
•Represents RCDS in matters of security through state, county and national organizations.
•Performs other related work as required.
REQUIREMENTS: Rumson Country Day School Director of Safety and Security
• Experience with emergency planning and incident management, to include familiarity with the Incident Command System.
• Demonstrated knowledge in critical incident response and current technology and communication systems.
• Ability to multi-task and work in a high pressure and fast paced environment.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish respect, credibility and trust and maintain productive working relationships at all levels of the organization.
• Strong communications skills – verbal, written, presentation and in-team facilitation.
• Ability to use discretion and good judgment in a variety of circumstances with proven ability to effectively, continuously and discretely work with confidential and potentially sensitive information.
• Experience in effective crisis management, as well as problem-solving.
• Knowledge and experience in applying best practices for safety and security programs.
• Ability to adapt to changing work priorities: communicate with diverse groups; interact positively/build relationships with students, staff and parents; maintain confidentiality; work as part of a team; set priorities; and work with frequent interruptions.
• Physically able to perform the duties required for this position. Work is performed inside and outside the building, with exposure to inclement weather and unpredictable crisis situations. The candidate must be flexible with working hours and working conditions, including: Ability to walk for long periods of time around campus, ability to climb stairs, ability to sit at a desk working on a computer.
• Embraces the diversity of the RCDS community and contributes to an inclusive culture, treating everyone with respect. All employees must be fingerprinted and pass a Federal and State background checks.
As a high quality educational institution, RCDS seeks an individual who has demonstrated professional work experience on at least one of the primary fields related to this position:
Preferred Experience or Training:
•POST-Approved Police Academy or equivalent, FBI National Academy Program, Advanced Police Management Program, Emergency Management Institute, Security Training Programs or other comparable training programs
•Tactical Response Training
•Emergency Management Certification
• Experience working in law enforcement or military police.
• Prior supervisory experience managing scheduling and staffing for various events.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent combination of training and experience required.
• Successful completion of state and federal clearances.
• Prefer a candidate who held a supervisory or Officer level position.
• Have the necessary qualifications to carry a weapon under the NJ Retired Officers (RPO) pursuant to NJ 2C:39-61.