You have 1 PagePop. View
With the weather systems moving across the state, we are postponing the EdCamp Inspired for IT Professionals program to Wednesday March 28th 2018
Stay warm, dry, and safe!
Please contact Rachel Folan at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND JUSTICE
- Chavez, Rudolfo. Speaking the Unpleasant: The Politics of (Non)Engagement in the Multicultural Education Terrain. SUNY series, the social context of education. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1998.
- Cole, Robert W. Educating Everbody's Children: Diverse Teaching Strategies for Diverse Learners. Virginia: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 1995.
- Delpit, Lisa. Other People's Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom. New York: The New Press, 1995.
- Delpit, Lisa. The Skin That We Speak: Thoughts on Language and Culture in the Classroom. New York: The New Press, 2000.
- Howard, Gary. We Can't Teach What We Don't Know: White Teachers, Multicultural Schools. New York: Teachers College Press, 1999.
- Kane, Pearl Rock & Alfonso J. Orsini. The Colors of Excellence: Hiring and Keeping Teachers of Color in Independent Schools. New York: Teachers College Press, 2003.
- Kivel, Paul. Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice. Pennsylvania: New Society Publishers, 1996.
- Lindsey, Randall B., Nuri Kikanza Robins and Raymond D. Terrell. Cultural Proficiency: A Manual for School Leaders.
- Mandel, Richard, and Richard L. Mandel. “The Tangled Trinity: Value Tensions that Tie Independent School Leaders in Knots.” Taken from his presentation at the 2001 ISACS Annual Conference.
- McIntyre, Alice. Making Meaning of Whiteness: Exploring Racial Identity with White Teachers. SUNY series, the social context of education. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1996. UTSA
- Tatum, Beverly Daniel. "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?” and Other Conversations About Race. Basic Books, 1997.
- Dr. Eboo Patel: Click Here to read "Interfaith Service Learning" by Dr. Eboo Patel
By Eboo Patel and Patrice Brodeur
About: Violence committed by religious young people has become a regular feature of our daily news reports. What we hear less about are the growing numbers of religious young people from all faith backgrounds who are committed to interfaith understanding and cooperation. Building the Interfaith Youth Movement is the first book to describe this important phenomenon. Contributions include concrete descriptions of various interfaith youth projects across the country—from an arts-program in the South Bronx, to a research program at Harvard University, to a national organization called the Interfaith Youth Core based in Chicago—written by the founders and leaders of those initiatives. Additional chapters articulate the theory and methodology of this important new movement. This book is a must-read for college chaplains, religious leaders who work with youth, and students and scholars of contemporary religion. Available at: www.rowmanlittlefield.com
Radio: "We Are Each Other's Business"
By Eboo Patel on NPR's "This I Believe" program
Film: "Three Faiths, One God: Islam, Christianity, Judaism"
By Auteur Productions
Film: "Muslim Spain: One Land, Three Faiths"
By Unity Productions Foundation
Film: "What Do You Believe?"
By Sarah Feinbloom
The "What Do You Believe?" Project was conceived in 1998 in order to promote tolerance and understanding among American teenagers from different religious and spiritual backgrounds. 200 teenagers have been interviewed for this project, and their beliefs and experiences are incorporated in a unique 49-minute educational documentary.
For more information go to: www.whatdoyoubelieve.org
Book: "Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain"
By Maria Rosa Menocal
Book: "The Fire Next Time"
By James Baldwin
Book: "Good Makes the Rivers Flow" - by Eknath Easwaran -- This book is a collection of different sacred texts (including poetry) and provides the opportunity to review short selections and select appropriate pieces for the grade level intended.
- Dennis Sparks and Stephanie Hirsh: "A New Vision of Staff Development" (ASCD 1997)
- Assessing Impact: Evaluating Staff Development - National Staff Development Council (NSDC)
- Powerful Designs for Professional Learning - National Staff Development Council (NSDC)
- Dr. Wendy Mogel: The Blessing of a Skinned Knee: Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children (Penguin 2001)
- Michael Thompson
- Best Friends, Worst Enemies: Understanding the Social Lives of Children with Lawrence Cohen, Catherine O'Neill Grace (Ballantine Book 2001)
- Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys with Dan Kindlon (Ballantine Books 1999)
- Dr. Mary Pipher: Reviving Ophelia (Ballantine Books 1994)
- Michael Gurian and Patricia Henley: Boys and Girls Learn Differently (Jossey-Bass 2001)
- Rosalind Wiseman: Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence (Crown Publishing 2002)
FOR TEACHERS & ADMINISTRATORS
- John Badalament
- All Men Are Sons: Exploring the Legacy of Fatherhood (Documentary)
- Fathering - What Boys Need from Their Fathers: To Know and Be Known
- Dr. Gordon Donaldson
- Becoming Better Leaders : The Challenge of Improving Student Learning, Gordon A. Donaldson, George F. Marnik
- Working Together in Schools : A Guide for Educators, Gordon A. Donaldson, David R. Sanderson
- Cultivating Leadership in Schools: Connecting People, Purpose, and Practice
- On Being a Principal: The Rewards and Challenges of School Leadership : New Directions for School Leadership #5
- As Leaders Learn : Personal Stories of Growth in School Leadership, Gordon A. Donaldson, George F. Marnik
- Making Sense As a School Leader : Persisting Questions, Creative Opportunities, Richard H. Ackerman, Gordon A. Donaldson, Rebecca van der Bogert
- Learning to Lead: The Dynamics of the High School Principalship
- Gayle Gregory
- Differentiating Instruction to Meet the Needs of All Students-Secondary Edition (Video)
- Differentiated Literacy Strategies for Student Growth and Achievement in Grades K-6
- Differentiated Instructional Strategies: One Size Doesn't Fit All
- Differentiated Instructional Strategies in Practice Training, Implementation, and Supervision
- Data Driven Differentiation in the Standards-Based Classroom
- Differentiated Literacy Strategies for Student Growth and Achievement in Grades 7-12
- Dr. Thomas Guskey
- What You Assess May Not Be What You Get
- How Classroom Assessments Improve Learning
- Developing Grading and Reporting Systems for Student Learning, Thomas R. Guskey and Jane M. Bailey
- Everett Kline: "Transforming Schools: Creating a Culture of Continuous Improvement," Allison Zmuda, Robert Kuklis, and Everett Kline
- Joellen Killion
- For Good Measure: How to Assess Staff Development’s Impact
- On the Job: Data Analysts Focus School Improvement Efforts, Joellen Killian and G. Thomas Bellamy
- Dr. Robert Sornson: "Teaching and Joy," Edited by Dr. Robert Sornson and James Scott
- Dr. Randy Testa: "I am David" (Film)
- Todd Whitaker
- Teaching Matters!: Motivating & Inspiring Yourself, Todd Whitaker, Beth Whitaker
- Feeling Great!: The Educator's Guide for Eating Better, Exercising Smarter, & Feeling Your Best, Todd Whitaker, Jason M. Winkle
- What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most By Todd Whitaker
- Motivating & Inspiring Teachers: The Educational Leader's Guide for Building Staff Morale, Todd Whitaker, Dale Lumpa, Beth Whitaker
- Dealing with Difficult Teachers
- Dealing with Difficult Parents: & With Parents in Difficult Situations, Todd Whitaker, Douglas J. Fiore
- What Great Principals Do Differently: Fifteen Things That Matter Most
- Grant Wiggins
- Educative Assessment
- Assessing Student Performance: Exploring the Purpose and Limits of Testing
- Educative Assessment: Designing Assessments to Inform and Improve Student Performance
- Understanding by Design, Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe
- The Understanding by Design Handbook, Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe
- Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook, Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe
- Toward Genuine Accountability: The Case for a New State Assessment System
- Dr. Regina Barreca
- Sweet Revenge: The Wicked Delights of Getting Even (Berkeley, 1997)
- Perfect Husbands and Other Myths (Anchor 1994)
- They Used to Call Me Snow White But I Drifted: Women's Strategic
- Use of Humor (Penguin 1992)
- Dr. Thomas Sergiovanni
- Building Community in Schools (Jossey-Bass, 1999)
- Rethinking Leadership: A Collection of Articles (Prentice Hall, 2000)
- Moral Leadership: Geting to the Heart of School Improvement (Jossey-Bass, 1992)
- Dr. Harry K. Wong
- New Teacher Induction: How to Train, Support, and Retain New Teachers. (Harry K Wong, 2003)
- The First Days of School (Harry K Wong Pubn, Revised, 2001)
Bergmann, Jonathan and Aaron Sams: Flip Your Classroom: Reach Every Student in Every Class Every Day
Bookhart, Susan: How to Assess Higher-Order Thinking Skills in Your Classroom
Ritchhart, Ron: Intellectual Character: What It Is, Why It Matters, and How to Get It
Ritchhart, Ron: Making Thinking Visible: How to Promote Engagement, Understanding, and Independence for All Learners
Wiliam (sic), Dylan: Embedded Formative Assessment
INDEPENDENT TEACHER PUBLICATION
- Independent Teacher is an electronic journal that publishes articles on curriculum and pedagogy, across all grades and disciplines, of particular interest to independent school teachers. Please visitwww.independentteacher.org to access the journal.
MENTORING TO RECRUIT, RETAIN AND SUSTAIN
- Bassett, Patrick. "Why Teach in An Independent School?", 2002, reprinted with permission from the National Association of Independent Schools.
- Digh, Patricia. "Getting People in the Pool: Diversity Recruitment that Works" Source: The Center for Association Leadership, orginally published in Hr Magazine, Nov.2001.
- Kane, Pearl Rock and Orsini, Alfonso (eds.). The Colors of Excellence: Hiring and Keeping Teachers of Color in Independent Schools
- Smith, Andrew J. Diversity in Hiring: Guidelines for Employment, originally published by the National Association of Independent Schools, Spring, 2002.
- Thomas, Brian. Why I Stay: What Independent Schools Can Do to Attract and Keep Other Teachers and Administrators of Color, originally published in Independent School Magazine, Spring, 2003.