** We will be accepting nominations and applications for our next cohort in the spring of 2019 **
NJAIS trains leaders in education. Offered during non-conference years, our Leadership Institute is a popular destination for educators looking for learning and leadership opportunities.
Participants in the NJAIS Leadership Institute attend five sessions designed to develop their understanding of leadership in independent education, to build their management skills, and to give them a broader knowledge of the opportunities open to them in a time of change.
NJAIS Leadership Institute Goals:
- Provide schools with a chance to encourage outstanding educators to develop their leadership style.
- Inspire independent school educators to consider administrative positions and provide the skills necessary to assist them in achieving this goal.
- Expose potential leaders to a wide range of perspectives in ares of independent school administration.
Program Directors 2019-20:
To Be Determined
Building Block I: EXPLORE
How am I a Leader?
Overview of independent school leadership
Perspectives on Leadership
Qualifications for Leadership
Leadership Roles: Faces of Leadership Panel
Building Block II: SERVE
Attend part of the NJAIS Trustee Enrichment Day
Learn about governance and strategic planning
Building Block III: INSPIRE
How Do I Build a Pathway to Leadership?
Leadership Styles: Head of School Panel
Intentional Leadership and Developing a Plan
Resume Writing/Interview Styles
Information on "Shadowing" Exercise
Building Block IV: REFLECT
Shadow an experienced NJAIS administrator
Building Block V: LEAD
NJAIS Leadership Institute Dinner
How Can I Make a Difference?
Review of the Year's Events
Reflections on Shadowing
Summer Reading Assignment:
- Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time, Susan Scott
- Seven Secrets of the Savvy School Leader: A Guide to Surviving and Thriving, Robert Evans
- Turn the Ship Around: How to Create Leadership at Every Level, L. David Marquet
- Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader, Herminia Ibarra
- Leading From Within, Parker Palmer