NJAIS Strategic Planning
The New Jersey Association of Independent Schools (NJAIS), founded in 1958, serves independent schools throughout the state. It is a non-profit, voluntary membership association whose mission is to foster the educational, ethical, and professional excellence of its member schools, while safeguarding their independence.
NJAIS fulfills its mission by:
• administering a rigorous, standards-based accreditation program that supports continuous school improvement.
• providing a broad spectrum of professional development opportunities for teachers, administrators, and trustees.
• advocating for member schools at the local, state, and federal levels.
• promoting best practices and the value of education in independent schools.
NJAIS is governed by a Board of Trustees. Members can serve up to two three-year terms. All Board members are current Heads of School in the state. The Board appoints an Executive Director to run all membership, accreditation, professional development, and other programs, to hire appropriate staff, and to report regularly to the Board and/or its committees.
A regular part of the Board’s work is to think strategically about the organization and how to best serve the independent schools in the state. In November 2013, the Board completed its planning sessions and accepted new strategic goals. In brief, they are as follows:
• Ensure that the infrastructure of NJAIS is strong, including adequate staffing, to ensure that the needs of member schools are met
• Increase membership of NJAIS by reaching out to schools meeting our criteria
• Ensure and promote the quality of NJAIS schools through accreditation
• Deliver high quality Professional Development programs
• Advocate keenly and broadly for the values of Independent School education and the interests of NJAIS schools
• Promote collaborative problem solving to challenges shared by the leadership of member schools.
The Board will complete its work on these goals through Task Forces, and will communicate our progress in regular updates. Please note that we actively encourage participation by Heads of all member schools. If you are willing to serve NJAIS in this capacity, we ask that you contact Carole Everett, Executive Director, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone, 201-654-6528 or 917-494-2574. Your participation will make us stronger.